Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Best Days

As I went about my day today birthday planning, cleaning, running errands... the words of this blog post swirled through my head. It was a good post in my head but now that I sit down to write it the words just wont come.

I realized today that there is a phrase that is repeated often in our house, "Stop growing" (almost as often as "leave your sister alone"). Why is it that I want to freeze this stage so badly? I think it's out of fear, I fear that these are my best days, life can't really get any better can it? I fear that as my kids grow I'll look back on these days with longing, wishing I could go back.
I don't want to forget how the words "Peek-a-boo" can send this kid into such a fit of giggles.
And how if you hand him anything the first thing he does is shake shake shake it.
As much I would like to sleep in I also am afraid of the day when the little snugglers crawl into my bed and demand that I lift my arm up so that they can get right against me.

Even though I love this stage and want so much to savor each memory and live in each moment, I also rejoice in every accomplishment and look so forward to them learning something new. I can't wait until Jack can experience sitting on his own, or sitting at the dinner table with us and picking up little pieces of whatever we're eating.

I can't wait for Kendall to start Kindergarten and have a school/teacher/friends of her very own, or to get up enough courage to ride that bike without training wheels. 

The girls love to cut coupons out of the paper and make their own grocery lists.
I love seeing Kate's expression when she learns to do something on her own. She always watches Kendall do things and her coordination is not where her older sister's is. When she finally gets to the point that she can do a roll or hop on one foot (or whatever) like her older sister she is just so proud of herself!

So even though I do LOVE this stage of our lives I also realize that there are so many things to look forward in the years to come. We will have school dances, team sports, sleepovers, and endless other memories to make. We will have new "best days."



1 comment:

  1. I get writers block all the time so I know how you fee.

    ReplyDelete