Monday, May 26, 2008

On My Nightstand


Water for Elephants, by Sara Greun I just finished this one and it was fantastic. This book was well researched and a real page turner about an old man remembering when he ran away with the circus as a veterinarian. I highly recommend it.
90 Minutes in Heaven, by Don Piper. I'm reading this one now and it's pretty good; it's about a preacher involved in a car accident that was without a pulse for 90 minutes!
Sanctuary, by Nora Roberts. I usually like Roberts' books but this one was a little bit of a let down. The story was good but I felt like it was a lot of build up and then a quick ending.
Skinny (insert inappropriate word here),by Kim Barnouin and Rory Freedman. An in your face, mean girls on the playground type of book to scare you out of eating crap. Amusing but not great.
Paris Inside Out, I'm actually reading an outdated version from the library, the link is to the most current addition. Really interesting book that discusses day to day life in Paris, or as France Today explains it "An intricate guide for adapting to Parisian life." You never know when this type of information will be useful.

Real Simple magazine has a great article that lists what some favorite authors are reading or have read again and again...some that looked good to me that I'm going to add to my list are:
The Member of the Wedding, by Carson McCullers
Whacked, by Jules Asner
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, by Mark Haddon
The Third Angel, by Alice Hoffman
The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald (I have read this but it is one to re-read as an adult)
Lottery, by Patricia Wood
Mrs. Bridge and Mr. Bridge, by Evan S. Connell
The Treasury of Oz, by L. Frank Baum (again I have read one or two of these but it's time again).
Jan Austen: The Complete Novels (ditto)

Also on my to read soon list is In Defense of Food: an Eaters Manifesto, by Michael Pollan

All of those should keep me busy for a while but tell me, I really want to know, what are you reading now and what is one of your favorite books of all time?

5 comments:

  1. Cool! I hope you enjoy LOTTERY!
    The trade paperback is already being send out by Barnes and Noble online- so much for that release date of June3...
    Let me know how you like it...
    Much ALoha,
    Patricia Wood

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's see....on my nightstand right now is (still) The Creative Family by Amanda Blake Soule. I skim that from time to time for inspiration.

    But what I'm really reading right now is Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver. It's super informative and it's changing the way I buy food, who I want to give my money to, and what I want to eat/ support. Sounds kind of like that last book you listed. Good stuff.

    The Member of The Wedding is one of my sister's favorites, and I agree Skinny * is annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally cool that the author has commented on your blog. Now it makes me want to read her book!!!
    How cool is that?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No kidding! Thanks Patricia, what a cool treat. I'm going tomorrow to buy the book! You guys should all read it with me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo, I'll read it with you!

    ReplyDelete