Saturday, July 24, 2010

In The Kitch

A rounded momma and her big girl on a date night with Daddy.
Lots of grilling happening in our house this summer. I'm usually such a foodie and love planning and making meals but with the afternoon pregnancy exhaustion that job has kind of dropped off my priorities list. I mentioned to Brian how maybe he should take over responsibility for one dinner a week. He said that he thought he already did more then one meal a week. I was really at a loss for words because I could tell he was serious but I just couldn't remember him cooking....ever. Then he explained that he grilled more then once a week. HA! I plan, shop, marinate, cook all the sides, prepare the salad, plate the food, set the table and clean up all the dishes. He sits out with a glass of bourbon on the deck and flips something on the grill and thinks he is cooking. Really, I thought it was cute of him, such a man!

Our favorite dinner this summer is flank steak and corn. I use Darby's recipe from the blog Fly Through Our Window (one of my favorites).

1/3 C soy sauce
1/2 tsp ground ginger
3/4 tsp garlic powder
2 tbs brown sugar
3 tbs honey
2 tbs olive oil
Combine ingredients in small sauce pan and stir until it comes to a boil then remove from heat. Let cool completely before marinating. 

Actually, the first time I made this I didn't exactly read the directions and just whisked all the ingredients together without boiling and marinated that way. I've also used fresh ginger instead of the powdered ground stuff before too and I think it gives it a slightly better taste.


We've grilled corn on the cob this summer too but despite trying various methods we haven't found one that is fail safe every time. This could partially be due to our need for a new grill (most likely). However, the last few nights I've made it the following way and I think it's excellent.



fresh corn on the cob
sugar
butter
scallions
salt and freshly ground pepper

Shuck the corn and boil until tender (sorry I've never timed it) with a couple teaspoons of sugar in the water. Cut corn off cob into a bowl and toss with butter, sliced scallions, salt and pepper. I have been using a pepper grinder with black and red peppercorns in it and I love it (I'm a big pepper fan though).

We had this for dinner tonight but the camera was in the basement so I didn't take pictures. It was yummy though!!

No comments:

Post a Comment