Thursday, July 09, 2009

Beauty

Brian is out of town. I have just put the girls to bed and the only sound is that of my fingers on the computer keys and the dryer running. There is a lot of beauty in this kind of silence. It seems as though I can hear the walls of our house breathing a sigh of relief, winding down at the end of another fun summer day. In my head snapshots of the day are passed through and filed into memories, memories of my kids' lives that are flying by way too fast. I will never have this day again. While my heart is a little bit saddened by this thought I'm also excited about what tomorrow will bring, what silliness will come out of their mouths and make me smile, what discovery will be relished, what accomplishment will bring pride to little hearts and little hands that are just itching to grow, and learn, and become that much more independent.

I. Just. Don't. Want. To. Forget.
I don't want to forget that Kendall learned to swing all by herself or that Kate picked up a little Spanish from a Dora doll. 

And just to give you one of those smiles that comes about from silliness out their mouths:
Kendall: Mommy, is the guy in that car little?
Me: No, not really.
Kendall: Then why did you say, 'Go ahead little dude'?

Also in the car today I must have called someone a maniac. Of course Kendall proceeded to play 456 questions about the meaning of maniac and why I would use it and under what circumstances using such a word might be appropriate... Tonight before bath the girls were getting into their crazy hyper mode and I most have raised my voice or done something to get their attention (honestly, I really don't know what it was) but Kendall just looked at Kate and said, "She's a maniac." Great, I just loved to have my words turned on me.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:51 PM

    Beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley that is such a sweet post. I am proud of Kendall!!

    I can't believe how Kendall picked up on your use of "maniac." That is so totally hilarious. We are in BIG trouble with justin around for when we have kiddoes...

    ReplyDelete