Wednesday, July 15, 2009

What We're Doing

I'm reading Julie and Julia by Julie Powell. I just started and I haven't had much time for reading but I really like it so far. Cooking and blogging, what's not to like? Actually, I like the writing. Powell uses all the senses so you really feel like part of the scene. Like I said, I have barely started it but I would recommend it. Here is the Amazon review:
Julie & Julia, the bestselling memoir that's "irresistible....A kind of Bridget Jones meets The French Chef" (Philadelphia Inquirer), is now a major motion picture. Julie Powell, nearing thirty and trapped in a dead-end secretarial job, resolves to reclaim her life by cooking in the span of a single year, every one of the 524 recipes in Julia Child's legendary Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Her unexpected reward: not just a newfound respect for calves' livers and aspic, but a new life-lived with gusto. The film version is written and directed by Nora Ephron and stars Amy Adams as Julie and Meryl Streep as Julia.
Like I mentioned earlier, I'm tired. I fed the girls early just because they were all over me and whining. Then we followed the chain of events and had a bath and got ready for bed. I looked at the clock then and noticed it was only 5:45. What to do!?! The girls sensed the panic and started winding themselves up. They played in the basement for a short time and then made their way up the stairs and started asking for snacks (a sure sign they are bored). They wanted to play outside but we were already clean so here we sit. Kate is sorting our little counting animals and Kendall is working in a workbook. Our scene reminds me of a blog Jennie sent me not long ago. She, like me, is intrigued by the home school lifestyle. Neither of us have any desire whatsoever to do it ourselves but we both love to read about it and see their spaces. I think my fascination is rooted in my deep love for school supplies and maybe my favorite childhood game of playing school (remind me to tell you how I turned the tack room of our horse barn into a school house, complete with teachers edition books and large chalkboard. I would come away from my day at 'school' smelling of leather, horse sweat and hay.)

Anyway, these pictures make me want to turn an area of the basement into a school room like this. Again, not going to happen but it would be fun and beautiful. For now we'll just continue to work together on our "projects" as Kendall calls them at our kitchen table.

When the kids get a little older I look forward to the removal of the large plastic toys in the basement and setting out all the art supplies. Kendall is more than ready for that but Kate still eats crayons and uses glue sticks like chap-stick. She probably runs with scissors too, spoil sport.

1 comment:

  1. I like how light it is outside as you are trying to get them to think about bedtime. ha
    (I know , it stays light now FOREVER.... just saying.)

    ReplyDelete